If you're taking mom out to one of the Mother's Day brunches offered by restaurants in the Southside, round out Sunday afternoon with a trip to First Tennessee Pavilion for wine and cheese.
As part of its Mother's Day observance, Chattanooga Market is hosting a tasting of five wines accompanied by cheese and appetizers made by On the List Catering.
Mom can enjoy her wine and cheese while browsing booths of 120 to 140 vendors who will sell strawberries and other fresh produce, herbs, plantings such as fruit trees, and work by local artists.
Market spokesman Chris Thomas said the wine and cheese event requires a $7.50 ticket, which may be bought at a special ticketing kiosk in the center of the pavilion.
How many singer/songwriters can say that the band Queen paid for their college education? Anna Johnson can.
Johnson takes the market's EPB stage at 2 p.m.
The legendary rock band was so impressed by Johnson's song, "Flowers on Monday," that the musicians underwrote a four-year scholarship for her to attend McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, Minn. Now a Nashville resident, she has opened for Colbie Caillait, John Carter Cash and Jim Lauderdale.
Also performing will be Morgan Bracy at 12:30 p.m.
Lake Winnepesaukah is honoring moms with a special admission rate from noon until 8 p.m. Sunday: $75 per carload of up to five guests.
Bring the whole family for this price. Each carload price includes gate admission and unlimited rides for up to five people (cost would normally be $130). Dare mom to try the 14-story freefall Oh-Zone. If she's prone to something a little more sedate, there's the antique carousel.
For more information, call 706-866-5681.
Every mom gets a free ice cream cone at Ben & Jerry's, 201 Broad St., between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call 265-8606.
A sampling of area eateries featuring Mother's Day meals today.
Mother's Day Brunch
* Where: Back Inn Cafe, 411 E. Second St., in Bluff View Art District.
* When: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Price: A la carte pricing; $6 for soup to $28 crab-stuffed steak.
* On the menu: Two soup and seven salad choices, three breakfast choices, 13 entrees including sesame-crusted ahi tuna, seafood gratin, salmon cakes, Japanese bento box, New York strip steak. For dessert, drop by Rembrandt's Coffee House for hand-dipped chocolates.
* Reservations: 265-5033, ext. 4.
Mediterranean-Style Mother's Day Champagne Brunch
* Where: Broad Street Grille at The Chattanoogan, 1201 Broad St.
* When: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
* Price: $32.95 adults, $16.95 children, free for ages 6 and younger.
* On the menu: Three salad choices, antipasto bar, breakfast bar, three chef's stations, smoked-fish tastings, four hot entrees with vegetables, more than 16 dessert choices.
* Reservations: 424-3700.
Mother's Day Lunch Buffet
* Where: Grand Dome Lobby, Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St.
* When: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
* Price: $23.95 adults, $21.95 ages 65 and up, $13.95 ages 12 and younger.
* On the menu: Antipasto, appetizers and salads, three pasta choices, roast beef carving station, eight entrees with vegetables, more than 20 dessert choices including a chocolate fountain and cooked-to-order bananas foster flambe.
* Reservations: 308-2481.
Mother's Day Brunch
* Where: Northwest Georgia Trade & Convention Center, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton, Ga.
* When: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* Price: $16.99 adults, $8.99 ages 5-12. Includes flowers for mom.
* On the menu: Includes made-to-order omelets and pancakes, carving station, fruits, pastries.
* Reservations: 706-272-7676.
Two-hour Mother's Day cruises
* Where: Southern Belle riverboat; board at Pier 2 at Ross's Landing.
* When: 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. departures.
* Price: $27.50 adults, $15.50 ages 3-12.
* On the menu: Guests aboard the midday cruise will enjoy chicken Florentine and fettuccine alfredo. Guests on the evening cruise will be served carved prime rib and shrimp scampi pasta.
* Reservations: 266-4488.
Mother's Day Brunch Buffet
* Where: StoneFort Inn, 120 E. 10th St.
* When: 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
* Price: $24.95 adults, $12.95 children under 12.
* On the menu: Selection of gourmet American entrees such as beef tenderloin and baked ham, with fresh vegetables, salad and dessert choices. The full menu may be viewed at stonefortinn.com.
* Reservations: 267-7866; without reservations, call day of brunch to check availability.