If you're ready to plant a fall garden, a trip to Crabtree Farms on Saturday, Sept. 16, is in order.
The urban farm at 1000 E. 30th St. will hold its annual fall plant sale and festival from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Hundreds of sustainably grown veggies, fruits, herbs and flower starts, as well as seed for fall vegetables, will be sold between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Gardening experts from Hamilton County Master Gardeners and the local chapter of Wild Ones Native Plant Society will be on hand to answer questions. Trailhead Nursery will have native perennials, ferns, grasses, shrubs and trees for sale.
Just Us Gals will entertain visitors at 11:30 a.m. And the festival will include food, arts and crafts and family activities.
Crabtree Farms has lined up three free workshops:
* 11 a.m. Boost Your Fall Planting with Mushrooms by 2 Angels Mushroom Farm.
* Noon Fall Gardening Tips by Joel Houser.
* 1 p.m. Composting: Easy as Dirt by Master Gardener Bud Hines.
For more information: 423-493-9155.
TasteBuds Grow Chattanooga Farm Tour
Crabtree Farms is one of seven locations participating in the TasteBuds Grow Chattanooga Farm Tour on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 16-17. Hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday.
This self-guided tour is designed to connect local residents with the people who produce food for our region. Visitors will meet these caretakers of the land, learn what's being grown locally and the challenges and rewards of bringing food to the table.
The purchase of a $20 car pass gets you and as many friends as you can fit in your car into this behind-the-scenes look at local farms.
Crabtree Farms, 1000 East 30th St.
* Activities: Fall plant sale and tractor tours of farm.
Wheeler's Orchard, 996 Wheeler Road, Dunlap, Tenn.
* Activities: Carriage rides, goat milk soap-making demonstration, pick your own apples, cider pressing, pulled-pork sandwiches from Mountain Meadows Farm.
Pickett's Trout Ranch, 128 Trout Ranch Lane, Whitwell, Tenn.
* Activities: Fishing (bring your own tackle and bait), cave visit, on-site arts and crafts gallery.
Farm 58, 8217 Highway 8, Dunlap, Tenn.
* Activities: Tour the 180-acre bio-diverse farm that delivers organic vegetables, chicken, eggs, and pork to Chattanooga restaurants.
Grindstone Gardens Farmstand, 1554 McDonald Road, McDonald, Tenn.
* Activities: Spinning demonstration, fresh veggies and farm goodies including Shetland sheep wool.
Red Clay Farms, 405 Red Clay Park Road SW, Cleveland, Tenn.
* Activities: Stone-ground milling demonstration, 20-minute alpaca treks, produce stand, stone-milled flour, corn meal, grits, wool for spinning.
Georgia Winery, 6469 Battlefield Parkway, Ringgold, Ga.
* Activities: Taste wines made from locally grown grapes.