• What: Soul in a Box (Dilating Nexus Part V).
• When: 7-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 30.
• Where: Mark Making, 2510 N. Chamberlain Ave.
• Admission: $5-$10 (sliding scale).
• Phone: 423-910-9729.
• Website: www.shakingray.com.
• Audio: Aether Jag (Baltimore); Baby Magic; Ev Mhir; Frank Pahl (Detroit); Guest Room; Prophets & Kings; Love, Execution Style; Now (Atlanta); Red Okra King; Rick Weaver (Baltimore); Segaworms.
• Visual: Asher Love; Melissa Hoesman Johnson; Wadsworth Longfellow.
The Shaking Ray Levi Society will present the fifth and final installment of its Dilating Nexus series with a tribute to one of its founders, the late Dennis J. Palmer. Soul in a Box, scheduled Saturday, Aug. 30, at Mark Making, will feature more than a dozen audio and visual artists influenced by Palmer, an artist, musician, storyteller, improviser and educator.
Among the numerous musical instruments left at his passing on Feb. 15, 2013, was an RC-30 LoopStation, discovered by his lifelong artistic collaborator and friend Bob Stagner. The small box contained over an hour's worth of concise sound loops that Palmer created to use in an upcoming Shaking Ray Levi performance.
For Soul in a Box, organizers "hand-selected some of the most forward-looking artists from Chattanooga and beyond to make use of Palmer's unreleased samples as the sonic source material for their work," according to a news release.
"Local visual artists of equal caliber have also been summoned to create works inspired by and/or make use of Palmer's unique visual world. Their images will be projected simultaneously in conjunction with each performance. Each participant has been deeply affected and impacted by Palmer's personal vision, legacy and friendship in various ways."
A never-before-heard message from Palmer will be transmitted at the conclusion of the show. The event is co-presented by ArtsBuild, Human Conduct and Secret Weave.