STEP-UP Chattanooga builds tomorrow's workforce today by connecting businesses with high school interns who will be our next generation of talented workers. The program places Hamilton County 10th, 11th and 12th graders in paid summer internships with Chattanooga companies, providing work readiness training, on-the-job experience, professional mentors, advanced career opportunities and ongoing support.
This summer, EPB engages 10 bright young minds through the STEP-UP program.
Not only do the students benefit EPB by assisting with tasks and projects, but employees benefit from the opportunity to mentor and learn from the students as well. Experienced supervisors get fresh and creative new ideas from student interns, while EPB invests in the future of the Chattanooga community by investing in the professional futures of students.
Students learn about workplace life, get a feel for the career opportunities that interest them, and learn about modern business skills such as meeting etiquette, e-mail communication, project research and basic financials.
Meet Makayla, one of EPB's STEP-UP Interns
* Name: Makayla Martin
* School: Middle Tennessee State University
* EPB Department: Human Resources
* Favorite work experiences: Partnering with the marketing department to create a storyboard for a commercial about the importance of electricity in areas that tend to be overlooked, and working with construction crews to get a close look at equipment that delivers electric and fiber services.
* Most valuable takeaways: Experiencing the culture of a large company, and how to work in groups effectively.
* Future plans: Makayla hopes to launch her own business to give back to the community and share her experiences in career planning and advancement with young girls.
To get involved and learn more about STEP-UP, visit stepupchattanooga.org.