* There are 351,220 people who live in Hamilton County, with an average of 2.46 people per household.
Gender and Age
* Our median age is 39.4, a little higher than the national average of 37.5. Twenty-one percent of the population is under 18, and 16 percent is over 65.
* There are more women than men in Hamilton County — 52 percent of the population is female, while 48 percent is male.
Race and Ethnicity
* Seventy-five percent of the population is white and 20 percent is black. Hispanics make up 5 percent of the population and Asians make up 2 percent.
* About 5 percent of people were born in another country and 6.3 percent of people speak a language other than English at home.
* The per capita income in Hamilton County is $27,464, which is about slightly higher than the state's per capita income of $24,678.
* The median household income — the point at which households earn more and half earn less — is $47,880.
* Sixteen percent of people in Hamilton County live below the poverty line, including 27 percent of children.
* The average worker in Hamilton County has a 21.5-minute commute. The most common form of transportation (82 percent) is driving alone.
Marriage and fertility
* Of all people over 15 years old, 51 percent are married and 49 percent are single.
* Of women in Hamilton County, 50 percent are married, 13 percent are divorced and 9 percent are widowed.
* Of men in Hamilton County, 53 percent are married, 11 percent are divorced and 2 percent are widowed.
* 6.5 percent of women ages 15 to 50 gave birth during the last year.
* Of people over 25, 87 percent have a high school diploma or higher and 28.1 percent have a bachelor's degree or higher.
Source: American Community Survey 2014, U.S. Census Bureau