Location: About 15 miles south of Chattanooga in Catoosa County, Ga.
Size: 3.9 square miles
Incorporated: Dec. 18, 1847
Government: Mayor Nick Millwood, Vice Mayor Terry Crawford, Council members Larry Black, Sara Clark, Randall Franks and Jake Haynes
Schools: Boynton Elementary, Graysville Elementary, Heritage Middle, Heritage High, Ringgold Primary, Ringgold Elementary, Ringgold Middle and Ringgold High
Attraction: The Ringgold Depot, built in 1850, is one of the few antebellum railroad depots in Georgia. The depot, once used in the Civil War as a supply point for Confederate troops, now houses the Ringgold Opry, which features bluegrass performances. Also of interest is the Old Stone Museum Church, built around 1849, which heard the first performance of the famous gospel hymn "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms." Used at one time as a Civil War hospital, the church has since been restored and houses a Civil War museum.
Fun fact: A bronze statue of Confederate Gen. Patrick Cleburne stands in Ringgold Gap, where Gen. Cleburne and his greatly outmanned Confederate soldiers held the gap and inflicted severe losses on a Union force intent on pushing south from Chattanooga toward Atlanta. The park is located on U.S. Highway 41 just south of the city of Ringgold.
Famous resident: Confederate Capt. William J. Whitsitt; City Councilman Randall Franks is an actor and musician who played Officer Randy Goode in the television show "In the Heat of the Night" from 1988-93.