Don't stay cooped up in the house today. Here are some dining, shopping and film options in the Chattanooga area.
DINING OUT TODAY
If your turkey didn't thaw on time, here are few options for dining out today. (Call ahead for reservation availability.)
* Big River Grille, 222 Broad St. Pizza and select appetizers served 5 p.m.-2 a.m.
* Broad Street Grille at The Chattanoogan, 1201 Broad St. Brunch, noon-6 p.m., $32.95 (adults), $15.95 (children 4-12), under 4 free. Reservations/information: 424-3700.
* Chattanooga Choo-Choo, 1400 Market St. Buffet, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. in The Gardens Restaurant, $26 (adults), $13.95 for ages 3-12, under-2 free. Reservations: 266-5000.
* Chattanooga Marriott, 2 Carter Plaza. Buffet in Plaza Ballroom, 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m., $24.95 (adults), $9.95 (6-12), age 5 and under free. 756-0002.
* City Cafe, 901 Carter St. and 7641 Lee Highway. Open 24 hours.
* Country Place, 7320 Shallowford Road. Annual Bountiful Buffet served 10 a.m.-4 p.m. 855-1392.
* Cracker Barrel, all locations. Open 6 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Cumberland Mountain State Park, Crossville. Hot, cold and dessert buffets for $12.95 adults, $6.95 children 6-12. 931-484-7186.
* Delta Queen at Coolidge Park. Buffet with live entertainment. Seatings from 11:45 a.m.-2:45 p.m., $24.95 (adults), $16.95 (children 3-12), under-3 free. Reservations: 468-4500.
* Eleven at Doubletree Hotel, 407 Chestnut St. Thanksgiving dinner 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Reservations: 756-5150.
* Fall Creek Falls State Park, Pikeville. Turkey and ham dinner with all the trimmings, $14.95; half price for children 6-12 and 10 percent discount for seniors 62 and older. 423-881-5241.
* Fox and Hound Pub and Grille, 2040 Hamilton Place Blvd. Regular menu will be served from 6 p.m.-3 a.m.
* Herman's Soul Food, 3821 Brainerd Road. Traditional Thanksgiving dinner served 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Huddle House, all locations. Open 24 hours.
* IHOP, all locations. Open 24 hours.
* New York Diner, 5665 Brainerd Road. Traditional menu for $8.95.
* Shoney's, 6515 Ringgold Road. Open from 5 a.m.-10 p.m.
* Southern Belle, Ross's Landing. Board at 12:30 and cruise till 3 p.m. for the Thanksgiving feast. Or stay at Chattanooga Pier for dinner from 2 to 4 p.m., then a cruise from 4 to 5 p.m. for hot mulled apple cider and Irish creme coffee.
* Top of the Dock, 5600 Lake Resort Terrace. Family-style Thanksgiving buffet. 305-1363.
* 212 Market, 212 Market St. Serving lunch of traditional favorites 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Reservations: 265-1212.
* Waffle House, all locations. Open 365 days a year.
-- Compiled by Anne Braly
If you need an escape from the house, the dishes or even (gasp) the family tonight, there are several movies that opened early this week in time for pre- or post-dinner entertainment.
* "Old Dogs" (rated PG) -- Robin Williams, John Travolta and Seth Green star in this comedy about a pair of middle-age rich spinsters unexpectedly thrown into the parenting deep end.
* "Ninja Assassin" (rated R) -- Korean pop star Rain stars as one of the world's deadliest assassins seeking revenge on the clan who betrayed him. Buckets of gore and throwing stars abound.
* "The Road" (rated R) -- Oscar buzz is already surrounding this film starring Viggo Mortensen, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce and Charlize Theron. Based on Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic novel by the same name.
* "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" (rated PG) -- Director Wes Anderson's animated film about a family of foxes defending their home from angry farmers. Features an all-star cast, including George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and Willem Dafoe.
You can justify a bigger slice of pumpkin pie this afternoon with a little exercise this morning. Both the Turkey Trot and Grateful Gobbler benefit worthy causes: the Kidney Foundation of Greater Chattanooga and the Chattanooga Homeless Coaltion, respectively. Here's how to take part.
* Turkey Trot: Registration starts at 7 a.m. at Sports Barn East, 6418 Lee Highway. Family members can enter a Kiddie-K race or 1-mile fun run at 8:30 a.m., 3-mile walk at 8:45 a.m. or competitive 8K race. Kiddie-K entry fee is $15; all other events are $20. For more information, call 893-4889 or visit www.sportsbarn.net/trot.
* Grateful Gobbler: Registration starts at 6:30 a.m. for a 3-mile walk at 8:30 a.m. Registrants will gather at Coolidge Park for an amble along North Shore and downtown streets. Entry fees are $25 for adults, $10 for children. For more information, call 752-4807.
Creative Discovery Museum
Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum