Labor Day Soiree
Parkridge East Hospital will host a "Labor Day Soiree" for expectant moms on Saturday, Aug. 27, at 9 a.m. This is an exclusive maternity event featuring information from pregnancy and newborn experts and a tour of The Birth Place. Includes vendor booths, door prizes and be guest of honor at a special "Labor Day" baby shower. Cost is $10 per person. Limit one guest. For information or to register, call MedLine at 800-242-5662. Reserve your spot by Aug. 19.
* Alexian Brothers Senior Ministries will host a free workshop on strategies for preventing memory loss on Thursday, Aug. 11 at 2 p.m. at Alexian Village of Tennessee, 437 Alexian Way, Signal Mountain. Call 800-251-4600 to RSVP.
* Beginning yoga each Wednesday, 2-3 p.m., at Alexian Brothers Senior Neighbors, 250 E. 10th St. Cost: $25 for four-week session ($20 for Senior Neighbors member). The class is taught by a certified yoga instructor. Bring your own yoga mat. Chair yoga positions also demonstrated. Call 755-6131 for information.
A new group meeting for the hearing impaired called the Hear Now Cafe will meet Friday, Aug. 12, 7-9 p.m. (and each second Friday thereafter) at the Ridgeview Baptist Church activity center, 6 N. Moore Road at Brainerd Road. David M. Harrison is director of the hard of hearing ministry at Ridgeview Baptist. Guest speaker is Carolyn Mathis from Memphis, who will be demonstrating the new "Captel 800i" telephone used by deaf and hard of hearing. Open to all hard of hearing, family and friends. RSVP to 624-1669 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
AARP safety driver's class
Lone Oak Clinic will sponsor the AARP safety driver's class on Tuesday, Aug. 16, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The cost is $12 for AARP members and $14 for non-members. Most insurance companies give discounts for completion of the class. There must be 10 participants enrolled for the class. Call 886-4040 to sign up.
* Attend this free bariatric seminar to learn more about the Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y and gastric banding weight loss procedures. Geared toward individuals at least 100 pounds overweight. Held 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Memorial Hospital Community Rooms. Call 495-2245 for reservations.
* The Gastric Band Institute will hold a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band ad Realize Band) and the new "sleeve" procedure for people who are 75 pounds overweight. The session will be held Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St., in the Roosevelt Room. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
* The 2011 Walk From Obesity will be held Sept. 10 at 9 a.m. at the Memorial Atrium off Gunbarrel Road. This event is open to anyone who supports the fight against obesity. Visit www.walkfromobesity.com to register today and learn more. Call 899-1000 for more details.
* Gastric study: If you are more than 75 pounds overweight and want to participate in a research study with the new sleeve stomach plication, call 899-1000 or visit www.gastricbandinstitute.com for information.
Erlanger's HeatlhLink Plus Health Fair, 9-11 a.m. Wednesday at North River Civic Center, 1009 Executive Drive, Suite 1092, across from Northgate Mall. Erlanger physician practices and other medical departments, along with Siskin Hospital for Rehabilitation and The Speech and Hearing Center, will provide free health information and screenings. The screenings include pulse oxygen, blood pressure, bone density and balance. Open to all ages. Call Erlanger's HeatlhLink at 778-5465 for information.
Southside and Dodson Avenue community health centers are hosting a Patient Appreciation Day on Thursday, Aug. 11, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. to celebrate National Community Health Centers Week. Both centers will offer health information and the opportunity to meet staff and physicians. Refreshments. For information, contact Southside Community Center (100 E. 37th St.) at 778-2700 or Dodson Avenue Community Center (1200 Dodson Ave.) at 778-2800.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
Free screening for men and women 65 or older, to detect bulge in artery wall, with no previous diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm, and no abdominal CT in the past five years. Screenings held Monday-Friday, Aug. 8-12, at Memorial Hospital, Memorial North Park Hospital and Memorial Ooltewah. Registration and appointment required at 495-6000.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email email@example.com.