Twelve arts projects were awarded a total of $13,524 in grant funds through Allied Arts and Arts Build Communities.
The goal of the ABC grant program is to support projects that reach diverse audiences and strengthen communities. The program is funded by the Tennessee General Assembly and administered by Allied Arts in cooperation with the Tennessee Arts Commission.
Recipients and the programs/needs their grants will fund are:
* Alexian Brothers Senior Neighbors: Senior Arts Council anniversary celebration in February and a festival in May. Events will also be held in a public housing property to benefit underserved elderly.
* Art 120: Art Cars In and Out of the Classroom with artist Rebecca Bass will provide instruction for anyone interested in building an art car to promote their own art, as an after-school project, summer workshop or part of a class.
* Barger Academy: Bargeroo Music Venue and Festival will include local musicians.
* Bessie Smith Cultural Center: Songs from the Soul Exhibition of portraits exploring black icons in music history.
* Chattanooga Bach Choir and Orchestra: Fund hiring of tenor soloist for Bach's St. John Passion, presented in April.
* Chattanooga Girls Choir: An artist-in-residence will create an original piece for the Girls Choir's 25th anniversary.
* Mark Making: Live, Work, Play Collage. Experienced teaching artists will work with young people from a Hamilton County recreation department to create a collage.
* Normal Park Museum Magnet PTA: NormalPalooza arts and music festival 2012.
* Signal Centers Inc.: The Rhythmic Arts Project will incorporate rhythm and movement in ways that address developmental issues.
* St. Andrews Center: Music for St. Andrews Arts Academy students. New curriculum component focuses on the blues coupled with the children's heritage music.
* Tennessee Association of Dance: Executive director salary support.
* University of Tennessee at Chattanooga: Meacham Writers' Workshops funding.