The Hear Now Cafe marks its first anniversary with a potluck supper Friday, July 13, 6:30 p.m. at Ridgeview Baptist Church in the activity center, 6 N. Moore Road and Brainerd Road. The organization provides educational and social activities for adults who are hard of hearing. Attendees should bring a covered dish. For information and to RSVP, call 624-1669 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chattanooga Affiliate of Pancreatic Cancer Action Network will be Tuesday at 6:30 p.m, in the Community Room of Memorial Hospital. Reports from Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C., will be given, and plans for Purple Stride 2012 will be discussed. For information, call Edith Snider at 423-240-5282.
The local Home Instead Senior Care Office is offering a new Alzheimer's training program for Southeast Tennessee-area families. The "Alzheimer's or Other Dementias CARE: Changing Aging through Research and Education Training Program" offers a personal approach to help families care for seniors with Alzheimer's disease at home. For information about the free training or to obtain a free copy of the "Helping Families Cope" booklet, call 893-9993 or visit HelpforAlzheimersFamilies.co.
• Faith nursing classes. Memorial Health Care System will hold classes for registered nurses who want to participate in the Fall 2012 Faith Community/Parish Nursing program that begins Aug. 15 and ends on Oct. 4. The 33-hour class includes three 8-hour sessions on Wednesdays (Aug. 15, 22 and 29) plus three three-hour evening sessions on Thursdays (Sept. 6, 20 and Oct. 4). All six classes must be completed to fulfill course requirements. Applicants must be registered nurses who wish to bring whole-person health and wellness to their faith communities. Contact Connie Blake, FCN coordinator, at 495-6163 or email email@example.com for an application and tuition information. Registration deadline is Aug. 1.
• Massage therapy for cancer patients. To reduce stress and promote healing, free massage therapy is available for cancer patients currently undergoing treatment every Thursday at the Center for Cancer Support at Memorial Hospital and every Tuesday at the Center for Cancer Support at Memorial Hospital Hixson. Call 495-7778 for appointment.
• Childbirth education class/series, 6-10 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), is designed for expectant parents and is taught by experienced OB nurses. Classes include stages of labor, relaxation and labor-support techniques, hospital procedures, pain-management options, after birth/home care for moms and in-hospital care for newborns. Question/answer session. Registration fee: $75.
• Breastfeeding class, Tuesday, 6:30-9 p.m. at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road). Learn breastfeeding basics, what to expect the first few weeks and special tips for success. Concerns about returning to work/school also discussed. Coordinated by a board-certified lactation consultant. Registration fee: $30.
• To register for the above classes, call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email firstname.lastname@example.org.