Kim Lett, registered dietitian, will offer a one-time lecture on "Eating for a Healthy Heart" for anyone concerned about heart disease. Held Saturday at noon at Nutrition World. $10. Tickets are required and can be purchase at Nutrition World, 6201 Lee Highway. For information, call 892-4085.
The Caregivers Group will offer the "Virtual Dementia Tour," May 10 at 1 p.m., at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 848 Ashland Terrace. This is an instructive, participation experience that simulates the physical and environmental challenges those with dementia face daily. The facilitator is Robin Jackson, executive director of Alexian Inn. For information, call 877-2428.
The free Family Caregiver Support Group will start May 11, 10:30-11:30 a.m., and will meet every other Friday for eight sessions at The Health Center at Standifer Place, 2626 Walker Road. Designed for people providing care for adult loved ones, the program is provided by the Southeast Tennessee Area Agency on Aging and Disability. For information, visit www.setaaad.org or call 800-836-6678.
Learn risk factors, signs and symptoms of a stroke and lifestyle changes you can take to prevent them at the free Stop Stroke Saturday, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturday at Chattanooga State Health Science Center. Dr. Thomas Devlin, medical director of Erlanger's Southeast Regional Stroke Center, will serve as moderator and keynote speaker. Light lunch provided. Registration is required. Call Erlanger's HealthLink, 778-5465, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. to register.
• Overweight and considering surgical options? Free insurance verification offered through May. Call 899-1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Weight loss: Attend this free bariatric seminar to learn more about the Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y and gastric banding weight-loss procedures. Geared toward individuals at least 100 pounds overweight. Held 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Memorial Hospital community rooms. Call 495-2245 for reservations.
• Metabolic/bariatric surgery seminar. Learn about the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center, 6-8 p.m. Monday. This free seminar is for residents 100 or more pounds overweight and/or with health problems related to obesity. Registration is required. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
• Diabetes Education Class, 1:30-4:30 May 10 at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. This class will explore ways to manage diabetes. Call 778-9400 for information on physician referral and insurance reimbursement.
• Diabetes self-management. This is a two-session program for diabetes control from 4 to 8 p.m. May 10. Second session is May 17 at the Chattanooga Heart Institute, second floor. Memorial's Diabetes and Nutrition Center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. To register, call 495-7970.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail email@example.com.