Overeaters Anonymous celebrates IDEA Day (International Day Experiencing Abstinence) Saturday at Rivermont Presbyterian Church, 3319 Hixson Pike, to encourage members to begin or reaffirm abstinence from compulsive overeating. Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. Workshops are at 10 a.m. and 12:45 p.m., with a salad lunch at noon. Suggested donation is $5. 894-9966.
The Complementary Health Education Organization will host its Specialty Share from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, at Eastgate Mall, 5600 Brainerd Road, in the Community Conference Room. Free mini-sessions include chair and hand massage, Reiki, foot reflexology, Tai Ji, cardiovascular screening and more. For information, contact Donna McMillan, 629-1935 or DMReiki@yahoo.com.
MinuteClinic, inside select CVS/pharmacy stores, is offering free diabetes screenings through Nov. 30, sponsored by Bayer Healthcare. Patients 18 and older can receive immediate results of a blood glucose test, and the MinuteClinic practitioner can refer patients to a primary care physician if additional followup is necessary. For details or to find a MinuteClinic location, visit www.minuteclinic.com/freediabetesscreening.
The Chattanooga chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold its free Speaker's Forum from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Joe Johnson Center, 420 Bell Ave. Speaker is Tim Tatum, LPC, director of behavioral health at Pine Ridge Center. For information, call 899-6922 or visit www.namichattanooga.org.
The Multiple Myeloma Networking Group meets at 6 tonight at the Memorial Center for Cancer Support at Memorial Plaza Building, 605 Glenwood Drive, Suite 307. There will be a member roundtable discussion and planning for 2013 multiple myeloma awareness month. Complimentary dinner will be served. There will be no December meeting. Call Linda or Jack Huguelet at 886-3554 for information.
Chattanooga Bariatrics will hold a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) and the new sleeve procedure for people 75 pounds overweight at 11:30 a.m. Nov. 28 at Chattanooga Bariatrics, 7405 Shallowford Road #160. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
Memorial Health Care System's Mobile Health Coach will provide mammograms for women age 40 and up, with or without insurance, who haven't have a mammogram in the last 12 months. Locations: 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday at Rhea County Health Department, 344 Eagle Lane, Evansville, Tenn. To schedule an appointment, call 423-495-4040 or toll free 866-591-2254. Also, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday at Bradley County Health Department, 201 Dooley St., S.E., Cleveland, Tenn. To schedule an appointment, call 423-728-7020, ext. 105 or 106.
• Infant/Child CPR Class, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 1, at Parkridge East Hospital. The American Heart Association class is taught by a basic life support instructor. Course covers what to do if your infant or child stops breathing or begins choking. Injury prevention will be discussed and practice time on mannequins will be included. This class is not a certification for health care or daycare workers. Cost $15.
• Free tour of the Birth Place at Parkridge East Hospital, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, or 5-6 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 6. Tour the Labor and Delivery area and the mother/baby area (based on availability). Parental services and classes will be discussed, along with a question and answer time. Tour begins in Rowe Conference Room.
• For above classes, call MedLine at 800-242-5662 or visit ParkridgeEastHospital.com for information and to register.
• Childbirth education class/series, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Monday at Erlanger East is designed for expectant parents and is taught by experienced OB nurses. Classes includes stages of labor, relaxation and labor-support techniques, hospital procedures, pain-management options, after birth/home care for moms and in-hospital care for newborns. A question and answer session is included. Registration fee is $75.
• Diabetes education class, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. This class will explore ways to manage diabetes. Call 778-9400 for information on physician referral and insurance reimbursement.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email firstname.lastname@example.org.