The second annual Greater Hydrocephalus Walk will be held Saturday at Coolidge Park. The 5-kilometer walk (3.1 miles) begins at 11 a.m. Hydrocephalus is an abnormal accumulation of cerebral spinal fluid in the brain, also known as water on the brain. Currently there's no prevention or cure. All money raised will go for research. For information, call Chara McLaughen at 503-6657.
You may qualify for a local no cost weight-loss clinical research study. Learn more by calling 888-978-8398 and visiting www.ReduceTrial.com
• Congestive Heart Failure Education. Free every Thursday for patients with congestive heart failure at Chattanooga Heart Institute, second floor. Call 495-7764 for information.
• Basic diabetes. Provides an overview of diabetes, including treatment, prevention of complications and meal planning. Memorial's Diabetes and Nutrition Center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Held 1:45 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1, at Memorial Ooltewah Imaging Center. Call 495-7970 to register.
• Free abdominal aortic aneurysm screening to detect bulges in artery walls during the month of November for men and women 65 or older who have no previous diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm and no abdominal CT in the past five years. Screenings at Memorial Hospital Glenwood, Memorial Hospital Hixson and Memorial Ooltewah. Registration and appointment required. Call 495-6000.
• The childbirth education class from 6 to 10 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), is designed for expectant parents and is taught by experienced OB nurses. Class includes stages of labor, relaxation and labor-support techniques, hospital procedures, pain-management options, after birth/home care for moms and in-hospital care for newborns. Question and answer session. Registration fee is $75.
• Erlanger at Hutcheson (Women's Center) also offers a childbirth education class, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 3. Registration is free for mothers who plan to deliver at Hutcheson or $75 if delivering at another location.
• For above classes, call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
• Cholestech lipid and glucose screening at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), 8 a.m.-noon, Wednesday. Results while you wait. A lipid panel shows HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, non-HDL, cholesterol ratio and triglycerides. A 12-hour fast is required for accurate result. No eating or drinking coffee prior to test; drink water the night before and morning of testing. Reservations required. No walk-ins. Lipid plus glucose, $25. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 for information.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail lweaver @timesfreepress.com.