Get free screenings at a Community Health Expo, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Chattanooga First Activity Center, 7450 Standifer Gap Road. Screenings include blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, breath capacity, Harvard Step Test, foot exams and mammograms. There will be children's programs and prizes. For information, call 396-2197.
Area caregivers are invited to a free event to get encouragement and strength as they care for older adults. Speaker is Lori Hogan, author of "Strength for the Moment" and co-founder of Home Instead Senior Care. The event is at 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 13, at Ridgedale Baptist Church, 1831 Hickory Valley Road. For information, contact Sally Stalnaker toll free at 888-296-2411, ext. 3.
The 2012 Walk from Obesity, sponsored by Chattanooga Bariatrics and Dr. Jaime Ponce, will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday at Waterside on Shallowford Road next to HH Gregg. Individuals affected by obesity and anyone who supports the fight against obesity are invited to walk to raise national awareness of the obesity epidemic. Register or get information online at www.walkfromobesity.com.
Dr. Clif Cleaveland will give a summary and answer questions about the Affordable Healthcare Act at 7 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 13, at the Jewish Cultural Center, 5461 North Terrace Road. This is a free event but attendees are asked to RSVP to 493-0270, ext. 10, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are more than 75 pounds overweight and want to participate in a research study with the new sleeve stomach plication, call 899-1000 or visit www.chattanoogabariatrics.com for information.
• Parkridge East Hospital's breast-feeding class, from 10 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Sept. 15, is designed for first-time moms or veterans. Topics include physiology of breastfeeding, advantages and successful techniques. A support person is encouraged to attend, but not required. This class is free with any Labor of Love Lamaze class. For information and to register, call MedLine at 800-242-5662 or visit ParkridgeEastHospital.com.
• Free car seat safety checks at Parkridge East campus from 10 a.m. to noon on Tuesday. Come before or after your baby arrives. Conducted by Christy Smith of the Hamilton County Health Department. Meet in the parking lot between the hospital and the doctor's office building, 941 Spring Creek Road, weather permitting. Registration not required. Call 855-3645 for information.
• Metabolic/bariatric surgery seminar, 6-8 p.m., Monday, at Erlanger Baroness (Oncology Conference Room). Area residents 100 or more pounds overweight and/or with health problems related to obesity can learn about the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center at Erlanger. Seminar is free. Registration required.
• A Boot Camp for Dads will be held at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road) from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Sept. 15. First-time dads can learn how to help the new mom. Topics include diapering, feeding, why babies cry and how to handle it. Learn about postpartum depression and hands-on infant care. A new "veteran" dad is invited (along with his baby) to the class for question-and-answer time.
• To register for above classes, call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465.
The Memorial Mobile Mammogram unit will be at the Lone Oak Community Center, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 13. Call 495-4040 for an appointment or come by Lone Oak Free Health Clinic, Signal Mountain, to pick up mammogram paperwork ahead of time.
This two-session program provides an overview of diabetes and treatment, prevention of complications, diabetes meal planning and carbohydrate counting. First session is from 1:15 p.m. -3:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The second session is Sept.. 19 at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital. The center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration required at 495-7970.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail email@example.com.