Series of shootings leave 1 dead, 1 hurt

Series of shootings leave 1 dead, 1 hurt

January 10th, 2010 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A shooting at 3440 Wilcox Blvd. Saturday night led to a melee of events that unfolded in the Eastdale area, according to Chattanooga police spokeswoman Sgt. Jerri Weary.

Police were called to the Kanku's convenience store just after 9:30 p.m. on a person shot, Sgt. Weary said. Officers arrived to find 42-year-old Jonathan Lawrence dead on the lot. According to witnesses, the incident began when Anthony Russell threw a bottle at a vehicle driven by Montez Davis, causing Mr. Davis' window to be broken out.

Mr. Davis then circled the Kanku parking lot and began shooting at Mr. Russell and his friends, Sgt. Weary said. At the same time, Jonathan Lawrence was pumping gas for a vehicle that had just pulled on the lot. Shots fired by Mr. Davis struck Lawrence in the head and killed him instantly, Sgt. Weary said. Several vehicles on the lot were also bullet riddled, Sgt. Weary said.

Mr. Davis then fled the scene and went home to 1006 Tunnel Blvd. where another gunfight began when an unknown vehicle pulled up and began firing at Mr. Davis' home.

During the exchange of gunfire between the suspect vehicle and parties from Mr. Davis' home, 29-year-old Inah Garner was traveling north on Tunnel Boulevard when a bullet from the gunfight went through the driver's side window and hit Ms. Garner in the finger, Sgt. Weary said. She then drove to the Kanku's convenience store lot where she informed police that she'd been shot, Sgt. Weary said.

Officers responding to both shootings were able to locate and detain several witnesses and suspects to both incidents. After interviewing several witnesses and Mr. Davis, police arrested Mr. Davis for first-degree murder, reckless endangerment and illegal possession of a firearm.

Investigators are still working to identify the suspects that fired at Mr. Davis' home and determine who the shooter was that injured Ms. Garner.

The investigation into both incidents will continue and more arrests are expected.