Two young boys escaped injury this morning when their trailer caught fire, Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner said.
A city police officer on patrol saw the blaze from the Airport Road trailer park about 2 a.m. and reported it, Garner said. Four fire companies responded to the fire at Lot 38 and quickly extinguished the blaze.
The mother was at work but her sons, 9 and 11, were at home. They reportedly began smelling smoke several hours earlier and went to a neighbor's trailer to ask for help, according to Capt. Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division.
Moore said the neighbor suspected an electrical problem and disconnected the electrical service to the boys' trailer. But Moore said the wiring probably already had been damaged, causing the fire.
The family is being helped by the American Red Cross, Garner said.