Multiple fights at 807 Fire and Ice club in Chattanooga prompt city investigation

Multiple fights at 807 Fire and Ice club in Chattanooga prompt city investigation

December 5th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

The 807 Fire and Ice club is located on Market Street.

Photo by Jake Daniels/Times Free Press.

POLL: Does the 807 Fire and Ice Club on Market Street pose a public safety hazard?

A Chattanooga regulatory board is investigating whether 807 Fire and Ice Club on Market Street poses a public safety hazard after shots were fired during a series of violent brawls there early Sunday morning.

The city Beer and Wrecker Board is currently working with officials, including the city attorney, to address safety issues associated with the club, which has already had its beer license revoked because of fights at and related to the club.

An officer working a call near the club around 1:30 a.m. Sunday observed a fight outside of Fire and Ice, according to Chattanooga Police spokeswoman Sgt. Jerri Weary. While he and other others attempted to break up the fight, it moved down the street to the intersection of Eighth and Market Streets, she said.

Meanwhile, another fracas broke out at the front door of Fire and Ice, along with an even larger fight inside, Weary said. As officers scrambled to get to both incidents, shots were fired inside the club, she said

Officers reported that tables, chairs, bottles and glass were being thrown inside the club and that fights had broken out all over the establishment, said Weary. Additional officers were called in from other areas of town to help restore order.

An employee of the bar, Adam Alejandro, was injured when he was struck in the head with a bar stool as a security guard and a patron fought, Weary said. Alejandro had to received stitches for a laceration to the head, she said.

In the end, Marcus L. Jones, 25, Aaron Mitchell, 19 and Christopher Penn, 20, were arrested for public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Jones also was charged with resisting arrest and Penn was charged with two counts of domestic assault. More charges are pending against others.

For complete details, see tomorrow's Times Free Press.