The Market Street Bridge has been added to the National Register of Historic Places, state officials announced today.
Opened in 1917, the bridge linking downtown Chattanooga to North Chattanooga is the largest drawbridge of its type east of the Mississippi River.
Paul Archambault, historian for the Southeast Tennessee Development District, wrote the nomination.
"It represents a rare engineering marvel in the Southeast United Stations region. At 310 feet, the double-leaf steel bascule lift was the largest span of its kind in the world when the bridge opened for traffic," the nomination states. "The six concrete arches made it the largest concrete bridge in the South at that time."
Read more Saturday in the Chattanooga Times Free Press.