Shooting on MTSU campus leaves one injured

Shooting on MTSU campus leaves one injured

February 14th, 2011 by Associated Press in Local Regional News

Police investigators interview the suspect in the shooting that occurred at MTSU on Monday, February 14, 2011. (Aaron Thompson/DNJ) Source: <a href="">BULLETIN: Suspect in custody in MTSU shooting</a>

Police investigators interview the suspect in the shooting...

MURFREESBORO, Tenn.-One person pulled out a gun and shot another in the hand during an argument in a Middle Tennessee State University classroom building, then tried to hide by blending in among other students before being caught by police, authorities said Monday.

Murfreesboro Police Maj. Clyde Adkison said the suspected shooter was apprehended in the crowd without incident.

It was not immediately clear what the two argued about or if they were students. Neither was identified. The condition of the wounded person was not immediately known.

The campus of 24,660 about 30 miles southeast of Nashville was on alert for about 45 minutes.

Jamie Smith, 20, a pre-dental major, said she was in history class with 50 others when they received a text alert from the school saying there had been a shooting in their building.

"Everybody just started running toward the windows to see what was happening," she said.

A campus alert was issued at 12:19 p.m. telling students and staffers to stay inside buildings. A subsequent e-mail from the university at 1 p.m. canceled the alert, saying that the suspect was in custody and that the weapon was confiscated. Another alert at 1:29 p.m. gave students and staff the all-clear to go about their business.

Hayden Harville, 19, said he went to a window at his dormitory after receiving the alert and saw SWAT teams and police outside.

The Business and Aerospace Building where the shooting occurred was closed until further notice.

The suspect was unarmed when captured, but the weapon was recovered later, Adkison said.

Randall Dickerson in Nashville contributed to this report.