Chattanooga: Lightning sparks fire that destroys house

Chattanooga: Lightning sparks fire that destroys house

July 15th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Lightning that struck a home's roof in the Hamilton Mill subdivision early this morning sparked a fire that destroyed the house.

Flames were shooting through the roof as firefighters arrived at the house off 8011 Hamilton Mill Drive about 2:30 a.m. this morning, said Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner.

Firefighters eventually got the flames under control, but the house was a total loss, Garner said. No one was injured and neighbors reported that the couple who had just bought the house was on vacation.

Neighbors told authorities that a thunderstorm passed through the around 7 p.m. and a huge bolt of lightning struck the house, he said. Officials believe the lightning damaged the wiring in the house and it heated up until a sparking a fire about eight hours later, Garner said.