Casey Anthony found competent, trial resumes

Casey Anthony found competent, trial resumes

June 27th, 2011 by Associated Press in Local - Breaking News

Casey Anthony, left, with her attorney Dorothy Clay Sims, right, stand as the jury enters after lunch during her trial at the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando, Fla., Tuesday, June 21, 2011. Casey Anthony, 25, is charged with killing her daughter Caylee in the summer of 2008. (AP Photo/Red Huber, Pool)

ORLANDO, Fla. - A judge ruled today that Casey Anthony is competent to remain on trial for murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter after her own lawyers questioned her mental health.

Anthony's attorneys filed a motion Saturday asking for a review of her mental competency. The motion halted what had been expected to be a full day of testimony by witnesses. After meeting with attorneys, Judge Belvin Perry told courtroom attorneys and spectators that a "legal matter" had come up that would delay testimony.

Anthony was examined by three psychologists over the weekend. After reading their reports, Perry ruled Monday the trial should continue.

"Based upon the reports that the court has reviewed, the court will find that the defendant is competent to proceed," Perry said at the start of today's hearing, the 29th day of testimony.

Anthony has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and could face the death penalty if convicted of that charge. Her defense attorneys claim her daughter Caylee Anthony accidentally drowned in the family's swimming pool. Defense attorneys also contend that Anthony and her father, George, covered up the accident.

George Anthony has denied any such theory.

Detective Yuri Melich of the Orange County Sheriff's Office was the first witness to take the stand Monday.

Under questioning from Anthony's attorney, he conceded that he had never examined George Anthony's cell phone records and that a cadaver dog never sniffed out cars driven by George Anthony and his wife, Cindy.