Chattanooga city worker charged with kidnapping, rape

Chattanooga city worker charged with kidnapping, rape

March 1st, 2011 by Beth Burger in Local - Breaking News

Carlton Wayne Cameron.

Carlton Wayne Cameron.

Shrena Bell.

Shrena Bell.

A Chattanooga city worker remains in jail on a $60,000 bond after a woman reported that she was kidnapped from Warehouse Row, held against her will at a local residence and raped repeatedly, according to Chattanooga police reports.

Carlton Wayne Cameron, 52, who is employed as a crew worker doing building maintenance for the city, according to records, was identified by the woman through a photo lineup, according to the arrest report.

Cameron was charged with five counts of aggravated rape, one count of aggravated kidnapping and one count of aggravated robbery. He was arrested Monday during a traffic stop in the 1000 block of East 23rd Street, police said, and he was in Hamilton County Jail as of Monday evening.

Shrena Bell, 35, nicknamed "Re Re," also has warrants issued for her arrest in the alleged kidnapping and rape along with Cameron, according to police, but there's no indication that she has been arrested.

According to the report, police responded to Parkridge Medical Center on Saturday afternoon on a sexual assault call and interviewed the woman. She told police she was leaving Warehouse Row on Market Street on Friday when a woman approached and asked for directions. The suspect then held a knife to the victim's throat and ordered her to move to the passenger seat of a vehicle, the victim told police.

The female suspect drove to a residence and reportedly picked up Cameron. They went to another residence at 3120 W. 16th Ave., where the victim was taken to a room and locked inside, according to the report.

The man and woman returned several times, with one holding the victim down while they took turns performing sex acts on her, the report stated.

"The victim also reported that the suspects repeatedly threatened to harm or kill her and her family members if she did not cooperate," the report said.

During the attack, the man was referred to as "Carl" and the woman as "Re Re," the report said.

Several pieces of jewelry also were taken from the woman, the report said.

The victim suffered bruising to her inner thighs, upper arms and knees, which corroborated the version of events she gave to police.

The report did not state how the victim got away.

Cameron's court date is set for March 15.

More: City worker placed on leave after rape arrest