Updated weather resource information and how to help

Updated weather resource information and how to help

May 4th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

In the kitchen at the Walker County Civic Center, volunteers, from left, Neenah Miller, Sallie Lesperance, Deanie Bandy and Frances Cobb prepare meals for tornado victims and rescue workers on Friday. Staff Photo by Tim Barber/Chattanooga Times Free Press


• The Salvation Army is providing hot meals, water and emotional and spiritual care in Bradley, Catoosa, Dade, Hamilton and Walker counties.

To donate, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY or visitwww.csarmy.org. Or text the word "give" to 80888 and a $10 donation will appear on your cell phone bill.

• The American Red Cross of the Chattanooga Greater Area needs donations to provide shelter, food, emotional support and other disaster assistance.

Visit www.chattanoogaredcross.org or mail checks to: The Greater Chattanooga Area Chapter American Red Cross, 801 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403

• Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson asks that storm recovery volunteers in Walker County report to Chattanooga Valley Baptist Church, 90 Nick-A-Jack Lane, Flintstone, Ga. Anyone wishing to donate water, refreshments or food may call or go to the Walker County Civic Center, 10052 N. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga., or call 706-375-7702.

• The Catoosa County Sheriff's Office is accepting bottled water for storm victims. Bring water to the office at 5842 Highway 41.

• Oakwood Baptist Church in Walker County is collecting bottled water, nonperishable food and toiletries for distribution centers at its Gateway campus for Ringgold and the Ministry of Hope for Flintstone. To donate or volunteer, visit www.oakwoodbc.org.

• First Baptist Church in LaFayette is collecting nonperishable food and bottled water at the church office during normal business hours or before church services today.

• Chattooga County residents may donate supplies at the library, the sheriff's office, Lyerly Town Hall and Trion Town Hall. Needs include nonperishable food, bottled water, diapers, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, garbage bags, pet food, flashlights, sanitary gloves, children's Tylenol, ibuprofen and antacids.

Clothing may be dropped off at the Trion Police Department. It must be clean and new or very gently worn.

• A volunteer and resource staging area has been set up at East Hamilton Middle High School. Volunteers are accepting donations of food and water only at this time.

• In Bradley County, anyone who would like to volunteer with cleanup and construction efforts can call the Bradley Baptist Association at 423-476-4953.

• Non-perishable food items can be donated to the Chattanooga Food Bank at 2009 Curtian Pole Road, Chattanooga, Tenn., from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. From there the food will distributed to disaster victims as needed.

• In Cleveland, the Samaritan Center at 9231 Lee Highway is accepting new clothing items, diapers, gently used furniture, household items and other goods. If you have questions on items to donate, call 238-7777.

• Blood Assurance is asking anyone able to get to a blood center or bloodmobile to do so immediately. For more information, go to www.bloodassurance.org or call 423-756-0966.

• New Harmony Baptist Church on New Harmony Road in Bledsoe County is accepting items to aid storm victims in the New Harmony-Graysville area. The church also has food, water and other recovery supplies for victims. Pastor Donnie Lawson can be reached at 423-309-0120.

• Brush Creek Farms on Walkertown Road, owned by Larry Suttles, has clothing and other items for storm victims in Bledsoe County or Rhea County. Contact New Harmony Baptist Church pastor Donnie Lawson at 423-309-0120.

• The Salvation Army and the American Red Cross have a donation and distribution center at the Peerless Road Church of God of Prophecy at 3301 Peerless Road, Cleveland, Tenn. They are in urgent need of laundry detergent, dish soap, bleach and fod such as mac and cheese, soups, ravioli, canned chicken, tuna and pet food.


• East Ridge has placed sanitation trucks at the East Ridge Traffic Control shop at 905 Yale St. behind the Galen Medical building and Parkridge East Hospital for residents to drop off spoiled food, etc., because of the power outage.

Normal garbage pickup service will continue Monday. Any area that cannot be serviced on the regular day will be serviced Friday. Brush and storm debris pickup will continue Monday, but because of the volume of debris it will take time to completely clear. Residents should stack brush on the side of the road.

• The Catoosa County and Ringgold building inspection staff is reviewing structurally damaged buildings to make sure they are safe and habitable. All structurally damaged buildings must be inspected before they can be occupied. To be placed on the inspection list, call the Catoosa County Help Line at 706-965-7138 or 706-965-7139.

• The American Red Cross of the Chattanooga Greater Area has developed the Safe and Well website so people can notify friends and relatives they are all right. Visit www.redcross.org/safeandwell (English) or www.sanoysalvo.org (Spanish)

• For help from the state of Georgia, call 404-656-1776.


• Be aware of hazards from exposed nails and broken glass.

• Do not touch downed power lines or objects in contact with downed lines. Report electrical hazards to the police and the utility company.

• If you see frayed wiring or sparks, or if there is an odor of something burning, immediately shut off the electrical system at the main circuit breaker if you have not done so already.

• If you smell gas or suspect a leak, turn off the main gas valve, open all windows, and leave the house immediately. Notify the gas company, the police, fire department or state fire marshal's office. Do not turn on the lights, light matches, smoke or do anything that could cause a spark. Do not return to your house until you are told it is safe to do so.

Source: National Weather Service, Chattanooga Fire Department

Dade water advisory

• Officials in Dade County are asking residents with no water or low water pressure to boil all water before using it for drinking, cooking or preparing baby food. Allow water to reach a rolling boil and let boil for at least one minute.

Residents should continue routinely to boil water until notified by their water utility that the water is safe for human consumption.