Family of 10 escapes Dallas Bay house fire

Family of 10 escapes Dallas Bay house fire

September 1st, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A family of ten escaped a house fire unharmed this morning at 7307 Sterling Road after a box fan in a bedroom caught fire and spread to nearby curtains, authorities have reported.

According to the Dallas Bay Fire Department, their personnel arrived on the scene with the fire showing in a front bedroom and were able to get control of it and contain it to one bedroom within 10 minutes.

Homeowner Frank Crawford explained, "I just installed those smoke alarms in my house last week. I can't imagine what the outcome could have been without the smoke alarms."

Chief Marcus Fritts said "the smoke alarms saved their lives."

According to Crawford, his grandson opened his eyes and saw fire crawling up his bedroom wall. The family quickly evacuated the house and Crawford called 911.

Crawford said he wanted to thank Fritts and his volunteer firefighters for saving his house. "Those firefighters were here so fast! I really appreciate all their help."

Damage to the home is estimated at $10,000.