A 15-year-old Dallas Bay girl burned in a kitchen accident Saturday has been flown to the Shriners Burn Center in Cincinnati, authorities said.
The girl sustained second- and third-degree burns to 20 percent of her body after a pot of oil caught fire while she and another girl fried chicken, said Amy Maxwell, Hamilton County EMS spokeswoman.
The burns are on the girl's face, hands, arms and thighs, Maxwell said. She is in critical condition but is expected to live, Maxwell said.
Fire fighters responded to the house fire at 10001 Bear Trail on Saturday around 9:30 p.m. The oil fire was exacerbated when the girls tried to extinguish it with water, causing an explosion that splashed one girl.
The other girl suffered minimal injuries and was treated at the scene.
Firefighters battled flames on the cabinets and ceiling over the sink area. Teh blaze caused an estimated $5,000 in damage, Maxwell added.
The homeowner was not in the house at the time of the fire.