Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today (times EDT):
1. TODD AKIN SAYS HE IS STAYING IN THE SENATE RACE
But Missouri law gives him until 5 p.m. Tuesday as pressure to leave continues after his "legitimate" rape comment.
2. SIX YEARS OF NYPD SPYING ON MUSLIMS, NO TERROR CASES
Newly unsealed testimony shows the police infiltration of Muslim groups never triggered a terrorism investigation.
3. TOP U.S. GENERAL SAFE AFTER ROCKET HITS PARKED PLANE
The joint chiefs of staff chairman was not near the aircraft at an Afghanistan base, but the strike may be a propaganda coup for the Taliban.
4. HOW FEMALE RUSSIAN ROCK GROUP'S PUNISHMENT STACKS UP AROUND THE WORLD
Where insulting the king, killing your cattle, bouncing checks, even chewing gum can get you in deep trouble.
5. OBAMA'S LATEST TARGET: RYAN'S PROPOSED EDUCATION CUTS
He is set to deliver his latest critiques from college campuses, while the GOP running mate tells voters how his party will boost small businesses.
6. NYAD HOPES TO FINISH CUBA-TO-FLORIDA SWIM TODAY
But she's waiting out another storm, threatening her plan to make landfall the day before her 63rd birthday.
7. FOR CLASS OF 2016, WOMEN ALWAYS PILOTED WAR PLANES
The Beloit College Mindset List reminds professors that this year's college freshmen see the world differently.
8. VIGIL AMID QUESTIONS IN PATROL CAR SHOOTING DEATH
Supporters of a 21-year-old man shot to death in what police say was a suicide will start a march in Jonesboro, Ark., at 2 p.m.
9. APPLE-SAMSUNG BATTLE SOON IN JURY'S HANDS
The maker of the iPhone and the iPad seeks $2.5 billion in an epic patent fight.
10. THE JOKE WAS ON PHYLLIS DILLER, WHO MADE A LANDMARK CAREER OF IT
"I became a stand-up comedienne," she said many times before her death at 95, "because I had a sit-down husband."