Teen leaves stove on, sparks house fire in Dallas Bay

Teen leaves stove on, sparks house fire in Dallas Bay

January 2nd, 2012 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Unattended grease on a stove caused a house fire tonight with damages estimated at $30,000 but no injuries, according to a news release.

Neighbors of a Dallas Bay resident called 911 when they noticed fire coming out of the kitchen window of the house on 7222 Fairbanks Road.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and were able to contain it to the kitchen and living room area, according to the release from Hamilton County Emergency Medical Servics. The rest of the home had smoke and minor water damage.

Marcus Fritts, chief of the Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department, said in the release the homeowner wasn't home and the grandson, age 17, had been frying food on the stove, then left the house later without turning it off.