Residents of several Valleybrook Townhomes evacuated their homes this morning as Chattanooga firefighters battled a fire at 6403 Brookmead Circle.
Five townhomes were involved, according to Chattanooag Department spokesman Bruce Garner.
Capt. Richard Britt with Quint 19 said all of the residents had already safely made it outside; however, residents said one woman who lived in the unit on the far side of the five-unit complex might still be inside, a news release said.
Lt. Kenny Fairchild with Engine 22 had to force his way into the townhome, Garner said.
After finding no one downstairs, Fairchild went upstairs to find a woman watching closed-caption television. Neighbors said she was totally deaf. Lt. Fairchild informed the woman about the fire and asked her to leave for her own safety.
Firefighters got the fire out quickly. Garner said the fire never had a chance to threaten the adjacent townhomes.
Battalion Chief Bob Dixon said the fire was mostly contained to a utility room, but the fire did penetrate into an exterior wall and cause extensive smoke damage to the rest of the two-story home. The dollar loss was estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported, according to the news release.
The cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Capt. Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division said the fire was most likely started by an electrical malfunction in the utility room, the news release stated.