House fire leaves Chattanooga family homeless

House fire leaves Chattanooga family homeless

March 26th, 2012 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

No injuries were reported in a house fire in Chattanooga Sunday night that has left a family homeless, authorities said.

Chattanooga firefighters, alongside four other fire companies, responded to an alarm at 8:19 p.m. at 2210 Camden St., according to Chattanooga Fire Department spokesperson Bruce Garner.

When they arrived, there was a large amount of fire on two sides of the house, Engine Four Capt. Marvin Hudgins said.

The fire was ruled accidental after investigators traced it to an electric heater that ignited something sitting near it, Garner said.

Resident Marqueata Blair told firefighters that she woke up to discover the fire outside her bedroom, Garner said. She grabbed her 5-year-old and 1-year-old children and escaped the house unharmed.

American Red Cross volunteers were called to provide assistance for the family.