Michigan boy finds finger piece in Arby's sandwich

Michigan boy finds finger piece in Arby's sandwich

May 17th, 2012 by Associated Press in Local - Breaking News

Ryan Hart, poses for a photo in Jackson, Mich. Hart, 14, found a piece of finger in his Arby's sandwich. Jackson police and the county health department say an Arby's employee cut her finger on a meat slicer. Health officials believe the employee then left her station, and other workers continued to fill orders before they became aware of what happened. (AP Photo/Jackson Citizen Patriot, Danielle Salisbury)

Ryan Hart, poses for a photo in Jackson,...

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

JACKSON, Mich. - A Michigan teen finishing off his Arby's roast beef sandwich chomped down on something tough that tasted like rubber, so he spit it out.

Turns out it tasted like finger. The fleshy, severed pad of an unfortunate employee's finger, apparently.

Ryan Hart, 14, told the Jackson Citizen Patriot on Wednesday that once he got a good luck at it, he knew right away what had been in the junior roast beef sandwich he was eating last Friday.

"I was like, 'That (has) to be a finger,"' Hart said. "I was about to puke. ... It was just nasty."

The employee apparently cut her finger on a meat slicer and left her station without immediately telling anyone, said Steve Hall, the environmental health director for the Jackson County health department. Her co-workers continued filling orders until they found out what had happened, he said.

John Gray, a spokesman for Atlanta-based Arby's, released a statement Wednesday apologizing for what he described as an isolated and "unfortunate incident." He said Arby's is still investigating, but has determined that the Jackson workers shut down food production as soon as they found out what happened and thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the restaurant.

The injured employee was treated at a hospital. Gray said the franchise has fully cooperated with health officials and was given the approval to remain open.

Ryan's mother, Jamie Vail, was incredulous. She and her friend, Joe Wheaton, had taken Ryan and his 11-year-old brother to the Arby's drive-thru and she said she thought her son was joking when he exclaimed he had found a piece of a finger in his sandwich.

"Somebody loses a finger, and you keep sending food out the window? I can't believe that," said Vail. She and Wheaton said the severed section was about an eighth to a quarter-inch thick and at least one inch long.

Vail said she called 911 and met police at a local hospital, where her son's blood was drawn and he was prescribed some medication.

Ryan said he is feeling fine. Vail said she has been in touch with a lawyer, but has not decided whether to pursue the matter.

There have been a number of incidents in recent years in which a restaurant worker's accidentally severed flesh found its way into someone's food.

In 2006, a diner at a TGI Friday's in Indiana found part of a kitchen worker's finger on his hamburger. The year before that, a North Carolina man bit into what he thought was candy in his frozen yogurt only to find it, too, belonged to a worker who had had an accident with a food-processing machine.

There have also been hoaxes, including one perpetrated by a Nevada woman and her husband, who claimed in 2005 that she bit into a severed finger in a bowl of chili she bought at a Wendy's in San Jose, Calif. Both received lengthy prison terms after admitting it was a hoax. Wendy's said the bad publicity cost it millions of dollars in sales.