The most memorable quotes in the Times Free Press for April 14-April 19.
"You'll never get rid of crazy, but these folks win if they cut us off from the people we're representing."
- U.S. Rep. Phil Roe, a Johnson City, Tenn., Republican, on poisonous letters mailed to President Obama and U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi
"The cat needs to be skinned in the proper way."
- Sen. Todd Gardenhire, on the fight over a bill to make cockfighting a felony in Tennessee, saying he would consider the legislation anew next session but that he was turned off by the Humane Society's lobbying efforts
"I recognize myself as a mule in the Kentucky Derby. And I certainly don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars of lobby money to try to persuade your vote."
- Tennessee Rep. Richard Floyd, an alcohol opponent, during a fight against a bill that would allow whiskey distilleries in Chattanooga and other locales in Tennessee
"All that other stuff doesn't matter unless you have law and order."
- Georgia Rep. Tom Weldon, R-Ringgold, on the rehabilitation programs operated by the Department of Corrections while numbers show the state's prisons growing more violent
"Your boyfriend was walking down the street. You can't lie to me."
- Millionaire Ringgold businessman Emerson Russell, to wife Angela, after he said he saw FBI Special Agent Ken Hillman leaving Russell's wife's East Brainerd condo, according to audio recordings obtained from the Ringgold Police Department