Family of seven homeless in Chattanooga after cooking fire

Family of seven homeless in Chattanooga after cooking fire

April 30th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A family of seven is homeless after a kitchen fire at their Chattanooga home last night.

Everyone in the house was safely out when firefighters arrived around 7:30 p.m.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, and damage was contained to the kitchen. No injuries were reported.

Family members said a child left French fries cooking on the stove unattended, according to a news release. When the grease in the pan ignited, someone threw some water on it, making the fire worse.

Since power had to be disconnected from the house, the family has to stay elsewhere.