A fire destroyed an East Lake home early this morning and left a family with five children homeless, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.
Firefighters received the call at 3:20 a.m. at 1013 32nd St., department Public Information Officer Bruce Garner said in a news release.
The children, ranging in age from 5 to 14, and four adults made it out of the home safely. When firefighters began fighting the fire and the doors were opened, two cats ran out. Two dogs were rescued by firefighters.
After the fire was extinguished, firefighters searched and found a third dog who survived. That dog was carried out to family members. A cat died as result of the fire.
The fire was contained to the front portion of the residence. Smoke detectors were present in the home but were not working because there were no working batteries in them, Garner said.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family.