UPDATE: Dayton woman in hospital in stable condition after Signal Mountain fall

UPDATE: Dayton woman in hospital in stable condition after Signal Mountain fall

June 25th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Rescue tile

Rescue tile

Photo by Associated Press /Times Free Press.

Hamilton County Emergency Services today reported that a 22-year-old Dayton, Tenn., woman who was rescued early this morning after falling on Middle Creek Trail on Signal Mountain remains stable in Erlanger Medical Center.

HCES also reported a female firefighter suffered a wrist and knee injury while a male firefighter sustained an ankle injury. Two firefighters were treated for dehydration during the rescue effort.

An afternoon hiking expedition left one young woman stranded on the Middle Creek Trail with a broken leg, according to a news release.

A group of four were hiking along the trail, located just off Suck Creek Road on Signal Mountain, when the young woman slipped on a boulder and fell several feet, breaking her lower right leg around 6 p.m. Monday night.

One of the other three hikers immediately called emergency services to report the incident.

Walden Ridge Emergency Services arrived on the scene first and requested mutual aid from several agencies.

Sixty rescue personnel are on scene assisting, including emergency responders from the Chattanooga Urban Search and Rescue Team, the City of Dayton Rope and Rescue Team and the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Cave and Cliff Team.

Rescue personnel attempted to reach the victim from below, an effort which required a 45-degree angle hike. They requested other personnel to set up a command post and attempt to reach the victim from above.

Hamilton County EMS also responded to treat and stabilize the patient.

According to the release, as of 9:15 p.m., emergency responders have reached the victim and will soon have her in a Stokes basket. Rescue personnel reported that once the patient had been stabilized, the extrication could take four or more hours.

The name of the 22-year old female, from Dayton, Tenn., has not yet been released.