KNOXVILLE - The Tennessee Valley Authority's seasonal campgrounds will open March 15 for the 2013 recreation season, according to a news release.
TVA operates more than 80 public recreation areas, including campgrounds, day-use areas and boat ramps.
"Visitors using TVA-managed recreation facilities, or the hundreds of campgrounds and marinas run by commercial and public operators, significantly contribute to local economies through regional tourism spending," said James Adams, senior manager for commercial and public recreation.
The 2013 season runs through Nov. 18. Two sites will remain open nearly a month longer through Dec. 16: Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground and Pickwick Dam Tailwater Campground.
TVA campgrounds that will open March 15 are:
• Cherokee Dam -- Cherokee Reservoir in Jefferson City, Tenn.
• Douglas Dam Headwater -- Douglas Reservoir near Sevierville, Tenn.
• Douglas Dam Tailwater -- Douglas Reservoir near Sevierville, Tenn.
• Foster Falls -- near Sequatchie, Tenn.
• Melton Hill Dam -- Melton Hill Reservoir near Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Pickwick Dam Tailwater -- Pickwick Reservoir near Savannah, Tenn.
• Watauga Dam Tailwater -- Watauga Reservoir near Elizabethton, Tenn.
• Wilson Dam Rockpile -- Wilson Reservoir near Muscle Shoals, Ala.
Barton Springs campground on Normandy Reservoir near Manchester, Tenn., and Mallard Creek campground on Wheeler Reservoir in Hillsboro, Ala., will no longer be managed by TVA and will likely open in early May by a commercial operator.
For information, including campground opening times, fees and passes, call 800-882-5263 or visit www.tva.com/river/recreation.