North Korea makes more threats after UN sanctions vote

North Korea makes more threats after UN sanctions vote

March 7th, 2013 by Associated Press in Local - Breaking News

Members of the United Nations Security Council vote for tough new sanctions to punish North Korea for its latest nuclear test, during a meeting at U.N. headquarters. The unanimous vote by the U.N.'s most powerful body sparked a furious Pyongyang to threaten a nuclear strike against the United States.

Photo by Associated Press/Times Free Press.

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea is canceling a hotline and a nonaggression pact with South Korea and reiterating past threats in anger over a U.N. Security Council vote to impose more sanctions on the North for its third nuclear test.

The statement the North issued Friday comes after the council leveled tough, new sanctions targeting the North's economy and leadership. North Korea already has threatened of a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the United States.

North Korea says it will retaliate with "crushing strikes" if enemies intrude into its territory. It also says it is voiding past nuclear disarmament statements between North and South Korea.

It previously said it was canceling a hotline with the United States and the armistice that closed the Korean War in 1953.