Hixson motel evacuated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide detected; two women taken to hospital

Hixson motel evacuated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide detected; two women taken to hospital

March 19th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Firemen are shown outside the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson where there were elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Photo by Contributed Photo by Bruce Garner

Chattanooga firefighters had to evacuate the Holiday Inn Express in Hixson after two housekeeping staff members fell ill from elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to a released statement.

Firefighters responded at about 10:30 a.m. today after the employees began feeling nauseous and dizzy. When one of them began vomiting, someone from the motel called 911, according to Battalion Chief Rick Sewell.

Both women were transported to Memorial Hospital in Hixson. One of the women was treated and released while the other was admitted for further observation and stabilization.

Sewell ordered the evacuation of the motel located at 4820 Hixson Pike. High-powered fans were set up to ventilate the building before the building was turned back over to the motel management, according to the release.

Sewell said motel maintenance and technicians with the Chattanooga Gas Co. will work to determine the source of the leak to make repairs.