* Judges: Times Free Press design staff and representatives from Allied Arts, Kids on the Block and Creative Discovery Museum.
* Entry format: Use an 8 1/2-by-11-inch piece of unlined paper. One entry per child. Entry should have child's name, age, address, telephone number and school printed on the back. (A teacher's name also is helpful.)
* Mail or hand-deliver entry to: Wrapping Paper Art Contest, Times Free Press, 400 E. 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403. Entries will not be returned.
* Information: 757-6282.
* Who can enter: Any elementary school student in grades 1-5.
* Deadline: Entries must be received at the Times Free Press by 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21.
* Grand prize: Arts package from Allied Arts, goody bag from Kids on the Block, $25, photograph published in the newspaper, and the Christmas design.
In the midst of drawing stars last year, Katie Henderson became one.
Now it's your turn.
Katie, then a 9-year-old fourth-grader at Thrasher Elementary School, entered a yellow, green and red star-patterned design in the annual Chattanooga Times Free Press Holiday Wrapping Paper Art Contest - and won it.
The 2013 contest for elementary school students begins today, and your winning entry could be the one printed in the Times Free Press on Sunday, Dec. 8. That winning design also will be one of the selections for presents wrapped by Chattanooga's Kids on the Block organization at Hamilton Place mall from Dec. 8-24.
Kelly Williams of Chattanooga's Kids on the Block, a past contest judge, says color is important, and a small repeating design is a better choice for wrapping paper than one big design. Such a design, she says, should look as good on a big box as a small one.
"We're open to as much creativity as possible" for the subject of the design, she says. "We've had trees and snowmen and snowballs," among other things, in previous years.
The winner will receive an arts package and a goody bag from ArtsBuild and Kids on the Block and a cash prize of $25. The top 10 designs will be displayed at the Creative Discovery Museum.
The contest is open to students in grades 1-5. Entries must be received by the Times Free Press by 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21. Complete rules are below.
The winner will be contacted Tuesday, Nov. 26.
Contact staff writer Clint Cooper at email@example.com or 423-757-6497. Subscribe to his posts online at Facebook. com/ClintCooperCTFP.com.