Man treated and released from hospital after sustaining injuries in kitchen fire

Man treated and released from hospital after sustaining injuries in kitchen fire

November 25th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A man was taken to a local hospital today after a fire in his kitchen led to his sustaining first-degree burns.

The Chattanooga Fire Department said the man, who has not been identified, was released from the hospital

The fire early this afternoon occurred in the man's apartment on the fourth floor at the Dogwood Manor Apartments at 959 Gateway Ave.

The victim said he was heating some oil and left the stove unattended. He returned to find a burning pot and received burns in the process of trying to put a towel over the pot so as to extinguish the flames.

A sprinkler activated and put out the fire before firefighters arrived, a news release said.

The kitchen received minimal fire damage though there were some water damage from the sprinkler system.