Thanksgiving cooking turns into home fire

Thanksgiving cooking turns into home fire

November 28th, 2013 by Associated Press in Local - Breaking News

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Thanksgiving cooking turned catastrophic at a Birmingham home when a fire destroyed the residence.

Mildred Cook told that she was cooking on her stove late Wednesday when a fire started and quickly spread throughout her home in the South East Lake neighborhood a few miles from downtown.

Cook said her husband was home, as well.

She said the fire started on the stove as she was about to begin cooking greens. It quickly jumped to a vent and apparently spread quickly through the attic.

Albert Ward of the Birmingham Fire and Rescue Service said the home is a total loss.

Cook told that she'd planned to host family for Thanksgiving dinner, but instead had to turn her attention to finding a hotel room.