Police News: Vehicular arson charges filed

Police News: Vehicular arson charges filed

October 9th, 2013 by Staff Reports in Local Regional News

Vehicular arson charges filed

Chattanooga fire investigators caught a 12-year-old and 13-year old originally suspected of setting cars on fire around 9 p.m. Sept. 1 between the 5100 and 5600 blocks of Brainerd Road.

The boys face charges of trying to burn up four cars and one van within 20 minutes by removing gas caps and inserting flammable objects into the fuel tanks. One car was severely damaged, but the other four vehicles sustained "minimal" damage. No one was injured.

Capt. Anthony Moore of the Chattanooga Fire Department's investigation division said the 12-year-old boy was charged with one count of arson and six counts of setting fire to personal property. The 13-year-old also was charged with one count of arson.

Both boys also face a prohibited weapons charge for making a Molotov cocktail, according to a fire department news release.

Slaying suspect arrested

Officers with the Chattanooga Police Department's Crime Suppression Unit apprehended Santory Johnson at about 2:45 p.m. Tuesday in the Alton Park area.

Johnson was wanted for the slaying of Christopher Jones in the 4000 block of Chandler Avenue on Oct. 4.

Jones, who was reportedly arguing with Johnson before Johnson opened fire, was found shot and killed just several doors down from where he lived.

3 firefighters on medical leave

All three firefighters injured in Monday's structure fire at 2813 Fourth Ave. have been placed on administrative leave with 100 percent pay while they recover.

Firefighter Thomas Williams, one of the wounded public servants, returned home Tuesday after receiving additional treatment at Vanderbilt Hospital's burn unit in Nashville. His injuries were not life-threatening, but are serious enough that he will be off work for several weeks, according to the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Names of the other two firefighters have not been released, and further updates will be provided when warranted, according to the fire department.

The cause of the blaze remained under investigation Tuesday night.