Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1) WHO WON'T SEE MUCH OF A PAY RAISE IN 2014
Millions of Social Security recipients, disabled veterans and federal retirees can expect historically small increases in benefits come January.
2) AID WORKERS AMONG LATEST SYRIA KIDNAP VICTIMS
Assailants seize six Red Cross workers and one Syrian Red Crescent volunteer in northern Syria, where such abductions are becoming common amid the civil war's chaos.
3) BOYS GO MISSING FROM NM YOUTH CAMP
But an amber Alert is canceled for five teens from a rural ranch for troubled youth, where authorities are investigating claims of abuse.
4) STUDY SHOWS POSSIBLE LINK BETWEEN BPA, FERTILITY PROBLEMS
The chemical found in some plastics might raise the risk of miscarriage, researchers find.
5) EVACUATIONS AHEAD OF INDIA CYCLONE APPEAR TO SAVE LIVES
Some 1 million people followed orders to leave the giant storm's path, which greatly reduced casualties.
6) HOW SAN FRANCISCANS ARE GETTING TO WORK
Saying the public deserves to have a riding system that works, the Bay Area Rapid Transit's two largest unions say they won't walk off the job Monday.
7) LITTLE AID FOR SOUTH DAKOTA CATTLE LOSSES
An estimated 10,000 to 20,000 head of livestock perished in last week's blizzard, and a federal program to assist with such losses has expired.
8) WHAT'S THINNING MUSLIM HAJJ CROWDS
One million fewer pilgrims than last year are heading to Mecca due to concerns about a respiratory virus in the region.
9) WHY A TERMINAL AT LAX WAS CLOSED
An explosion at Los Angeles International Airport that causes a commotion, delaying flights, turns out to be dry ice in a plastic bottle left in a bathroom.
10) BIG PAPI PUTS ON A TIE
David Ortiz hits a grand slam in the eighth, helping the Red Sox stun the Tigers 6-5 to tie the ALCS at 1.