Update: Afternoon house fire in Chattanooga ruled accidental

Update: Afternoon house fire in Chattanooga ruled accidental

October 18th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Chattanooga firefighters extinguished a house fire Friday at 2301 Elmendorf Street.

Photo by

A fire that started about 1 pm. Friday at 2301 Elmendorf St. has been ruled accidental by the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Smoke was observed coming from the rear of the house when the first firefighters arrived. Firefighters found and extinguished the fire in the basement.

Four people live in the home but were not there when the fire started.

The house sustained an extimated $20,000 in damage.

Officials say improperly discarded smoking materials likely caused the fire.