Candle in 15-year-old's bedroom lights Signal Mountain house afire while she showered

Candle in 15-year-old's bedroom lights Signal Mountain house afire while she showered

September 12th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A burning candle lit a bedroom on fire this morning at a Signal Mountain home.

A 15-year-old girl left the candle burning around 5 a.m. while she went to take a shower, Signal Mountain's fire chief said in a news release.

The girl then woke up her mother and they evacuated the house and called 911.

Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly and contained it to the bedroom.

The bedroom was a total loss and the rest of the house received heavy heat and smoke damage, according to the release.

Damages to the house are listed at up to $50,000.