Sister accused of slaying brother in Red Bank

Sister accused of slaying brother in Red Bank

April 2nd, 2014 by Beth Burger in Local Regional News

Glenda Forrest, 63, faces a first-degree murder charge for the April 1 stabbing death of her brother, 65-year-old Donald Barnes at their 528 Lullwater Road home.

Glenda Forrest, 63, faces a first-degree murder charge...

Photo by Tim Barber /Times Free Press.

Two large dogs barked at news reporters Tuesday morning just hours after one of their owners was stabbed to death.

Willie and Harley, a Rottweiler and a tan mutt, stood in the yard of the home where police say Glenda Forrest, 63, stabbed her brother to death. She faces a first-degree murder charge.

In the moments after the stabbing, though, Forrest thought of the dogs. She picked up the phone to call her cousin. She told him that she had killed her brother, Donald Barnes, and needed someone to take care of the dogs. He said he would.

"She was still caring about the dogs even though she did what she did. It's unreal," said Cindy Livingston, a neighbor who has known the family for more than a decade. "She had enough nerve to call her cousin and tell him."

The siblings' cousin contacted Red Bank police, Chief Tim Christol said.

Police arrived to hear Forrest shouting from inside the home. She never answered the door. She had also stabbed herself, police believe.

Her brother was found dead in the rear bedroom and had multiple stab wounds.

It's unclear what led up to the attack just before 7 a.m.

"You could always hear her screaming and shouting," Livingston said.

Forrest and Barnes lived together.

And Livingston had adjusted to life after Forrest came to live at the house.

Forrest was often loud and antagonized Livingston's dog from the porch, Livingston said. A tall privacy fence well over 6 feet went up to block the view.

For years, Barnes put up with his sister's outbursts, Livingston said.

But the news that broke Tuesday morning came as a shock.

"I hate it because he has taken care of her all these years. For her to do what she did to him, you just don't imagine something like that happening, " Livingston said.

Barnes kept to himself, she said. He worked on rebuilding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

"He was a nice guy. ... He took care of his dogs. Minded his own business. He never bothered anybody," Livingston said.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Forrest remained hospitalized and in stable condition. She was arrested but won't be booked for several days. according to police. Her warrant was issued without a bond, Christol said.

Contact staff writer Beth Burger at or 423-757-6406. Follow her on Twitter at