Chattanooga Fire Department: Hoyt Street ruled accidental

Chattanooga Fire Department: Hoyt Street ruled accidental

April 15th, 2014 by Staff Report in Local Regional News

Fire at 3503 Hoyt St. Photo by Bruce Garner.

Photo by

The cause of Monday afternoon's fire at 3503 Hoyt St. that caused about $26,000 in damage has been ruled accidental, Chattanooga Fire Department officials said.

Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said a 7-year-old boy found a cigarette lighter and set some bed linens on fire in a bedroom, according to a news release.

Chattanooga Fire Department officials said Larry Mangahne told firefighters he was cooking in the kitchen when his grandson ran up to him saying there was a fire in a bedroom, according to the release.

When firefighters arrived, they quickly put out the fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Fire damage was contained to the bedroom while the rest of the house sustained water and smoke damage.