Firefighters rescue tortoise from house fire in Chattanooga

Firefighters rescue tortoise from house fire in Chattanooga

April 18th, 2014 by WRCB-TV Channel 3 in Local - Breaking News

A turtle is held in this file photo.

Photo by John Rawlston/Times Free Press.

Part of a house is severely damaged from fire Thursday afternoon.

Around 4:30 p.m. on Alexis Circle, when Chattanooga Firefighters responded to the call they found smoke coming from the second story window above the garage. The occupant told firefighters there was a small fire in the office area on the second floor.

Two firefighters entered the structure and went upstairs to the origin of the fire with one water extinguisher and a thermal imaging camera. Once entry was made into the room of the fire they were meet with smoke and a small fire in the floor and on a couch cushion located next to the wall. They found a heat lamp clamped onto a piece of wood about 6 inches from a tarp used for a tortoise enclosure. The tortoise was removed from the residence. The fire was then extinguished with the use of one water extinguisher and a second extinguisher was used by additional firefighters arriving on the scene to assist with fire operations.

Read more from our news partners at WRCB.