Police Briefs: South Pittsburg, Tenn., man killed in Colorado

Police Briefs: South Pittsburg, Tenn., man killed in Colorado

August 3rd, 2014 by Staff Reports in Local Regional News

Harold Waymond Adcock III

Harold Waymond Adcock III

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

Area man killed in Colorado

A South Pittsburg, Tenn., native living in Vail, Colo., was killed in the aftermath of a car crash there Friday, a local newspaper reported.

The Vail Daily News said that Harold Waymond Adcock III, 30, who was known as "Tres," was not in the 2004 Jeep Cherokee whose driver lost control and hit a bridge abutment.

Daily News reporter Randy Wyrick wrote that Vail police were investigating how Adcock was swept up in the crash.

The driver, who was not identified, had life-threatening injuries, the paper reported.

Friends told Wyrick that Adcock worked at a Vail restaurant, Up the Creek, and that he was an active outdoorsman.

Lightning ignites home

The thunderstorm that came through Chattanooga on Saturday brought more than rain. Lightning struck a house on Walden's Ridge, causing significant damage, according to a news release by Hamilton County Emergency Services.

At 1:21 p.m., a 911 call was received reporting a fire at 1821 Timesville Road. Walden's Ridge Emergency Services arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the attic and second floor of the house, according to the release.

The Signal Mountain and Red Bank fire departments also responded and firefighters worked to contain the fire within 20 minutes, the release said.

WRES Chief Jimmy Hillis reported no injuries and estimated the damage at $75,000 and $100,000.

Woman burned in house fire

A woman burned her hands Saturday morning while trying to put out a kitchen fire, according to a news release.

Amy Maxwell, with Hamilton County Emergency Services, said firefighters were called to 8675 Arbutus Drive came in just after 10 a.m.

A Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department crew found smoke coming from the house and found the kitchen on fire. They were able to limit the damage to the kitchen area, Maxwell said.

She said something left unattended on the stove caught fire and the homeowner burned her hands slightly when she pulled the burning pot from the stove. The woman was treated at the scene by emergency services personnel, Maxwell said.