Family of six displaced after child sets bed on fire

Family of six displaced after child sets bed on fire

August 14th, 2014 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A family of six has been displaced after a house fire in Chattanooga last night.

The fire happened around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at 2410 Ivy Street.

The fire was started by a five-year-old boy, who used a cigarette lighter or matches to set a bed on fire, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Firefighters found a small fire in one of the bedrooms. The fire was extinguished within a few minutes. There was some smoke and water damage in adjacent rooms. No injuries were reported.

The loss was estimated at $6,000.

The fire displaced one adult and five children.