The most memorable quotes in the Chattanooga Times Free Press for Aug. 10-15.
"I still own my political soul and can vote my conscience and not what others want."
- Hamilton County School Board member Rhonda Thurman after her write-in campaign for the Hamilton County Commission District 1 seat failed
"They will not stop this train. They can't stop it. Equality is coming to the state of Tennessee."
- Chattanooga police Capt. Corliss Cooper, saying court decisions are likely to nullify Chattanooga city voters' rejection of domestic partner benefits for city workers
"If we're trying to build Chattanooga as a destination city it is really hard to do that without making noise."
- Matt Lewis, bar and restaurant owner, in support of a proposed city ordinance allowing loud music late at night in parts of downtown
"The church ought to look like heaven on Earth. And in heaven, there is no place for white people over there, black people over there, Hispanic people over there."
- Kevin Wallace, pastor of Redemption Point Church, called one of the fastest-growing Pentecostal churches in the nation by Charisma magazine
"We have loved him from the day we picked him up from the adoption agency. We have loved him from the day I said to my husband, 'There's something wrong with this baby.'"
- Laura Roden, mother of Aaron Roden, accused of doing $60,000 worth of damage in a vandalism rampage at Westview Elementary School